top of page


You can look up a Tax Attorney by going to the Bar Association in the state they practice in. 

To look up a CPA, go to the website or

Click on the image below to go to the IRS website to look up the tax preparer you are considering to do your taxes. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 2.03.11 PM.png
                                                        NOT ALL TAXPREPARERS ARE CREATED EQUALLY

Fly-by-Night Tax Preparers - Can prepare taxes, but cannot represent you before the IRS. They are limited to data entry and basic tax preparation. They do not pay for professional software that requires their name to appear at the bottom of your tax return, and will use free file like TurboTax that is for self preparation. All paid tax prepares are to have a PTIN registered with the IRS. Fly-by-nights often " do taxes on the side" as a quick hustle. Some of them post up illegal signs stating how much a taxpayer will per child. By law no legal tax preparers can make any guarantees about tax refunds. 

Some may charge EXORBITANT FEES posing as professionals and target the low income for high prep fees and bank products because they tend to have higher refunds. Some tend to lie on the 1040 to boost up refunds, and will not give the complete copy of the tax return including the invoice & schedules. ALL of which violates the code of ethics for tax return preparers. They tend to close down, right after tax season, and are not available for answering questions. They are known for ignoring your calls when you have an IRS issue that resulted from their tax preparation of your taxes. 

AFSP Tax Preparers - These are tax preparers who voluntarily tax the 18 hrs tax code updates, ethics, & preparation course followed by the IRS exam. The results are reported to the IRS and the tax preparer is recognized as a tax professional. They may or may not have an accounting background. They may or may not have a degree in accounting, finance, or business. They have the choice of being seasonal or being available year round depending on their knowledge base and intentions.

Accountants - Have a college degree (typically in Business Management, Accounting, or Finance). Duties include:

  • Tax Prep, Tax advice, and tax planning.

  • Financial projections for the business's future.

  • Oversight and recommendations regarding company spending.

  • Has limited abilities to represent before the IRS.( Have to opt in the IRS AFSP to represent clients)

EA's - Enrolled Agents may or may not have a college degree. They tend to focus on taxation. They have paid for EA Classes and have paid for the 3 part IRS exam to achieve their credential. Their duties include:

  • Being Federally recognized to service all states and territories, and not limited by state jurisdiction.

  • Must be proficient in individual and business tax prep, Federal Tax planning, & Representation.

  • Must take the IRS required coursework and pass all three parts of the IRS Special Enrollment Examination.

  • Can represent you before the IRS. 

CPA's - Typically have a Master's degree and have to pass the Certified Public Accountant Exam for their state 

             they are practicing in. Education hours will include more than taxation knowledge, as it may not be the

             primary focus of their practice. The difference between a CPA and a regular accountant is that only CPAs

             can write an audited financial statement, such as a balance sheet or income statement. They can

             represent you before the IRS.

Tax Attorney's - Typically are accountants who also have Law Degrees. They are licensed by the state courts, District of Columbia, or the State Bar. You would not go to them for tax preparation, unless you want to pay higher fees. They are consulted in cases of criminal issues with the IRS or State Revenue departments, tax debt settlement appeals, etc..



Most Taxpayers feel they have a simple return. A simple return is having a W2 only claiming no deductions. Having your returned prepared by a tax professional will enable your ability to ask questions about your personal situation and not be mislead, have the ability to TAX PLAN


Tax Star Mobile, LLC will be here all year round. If you have questions during the year we are always a phone call or email away. If you are audited and the person who did your taxes can't represent you before the IRS, or if you change jobs and have question about rolling over your 401K, etc… We will be happy to assist you as you manage life’s financial challenges throughout the year. 

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you with your tax return preparation this year and please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need additional advice or assistance at any time.

bottom of page